This is my 2013 NFL Mock Draft in my opinion and will reflect who I believe they should draft, but unfortunately i can not predict trades. I will keep it as accurate as i can.
ROUND ONEManti Te’o- Linebacker from Notre Dame
ROUND ONEManti Te’o- Linebacker from Notre Dame
This is the top 5 lists in my opinion not necessarily the best stats. This involves all things that goes into being the best at their position.
Top 5 quarterbacks
1) Tom Brady- Most people tend to not give him his credit because he does it year in and year out. In my life he is the best quarterback I have ever seen. He was top 10 in all major categories. He has accounted for 38 tds and 10 turnovers this year. He guided his team to a 12-4 record this yea and AFC East title.
2)Aaron Rodgers- He is widely
Regarded as a top 2 quarterback with Tom Brady. His team started out slow but managed to regain focus and win the NFC North and the number 3 seed in the NFC. He had the highest Passer Rating while achieving the number QBR Rating.
He guided his team to a 11-5 record and a NFC North division title.
3) Peyton Manning- He has led his team from 8-8 and winning the division to 13-3 and a number 1 overall seed in the AFC. He his in the MVP race and come back player of the Year race. He leads the number 4 overall offense.
4) Drew Brees- He is my Offensive Player of the Year and if not for the turnovers he should be in the MVP race. He is the only quarterback to throw for 5000+ yards this season and only quarterback to throw 40+ td passes. Besides a couple unusual games he would be in the single digits or low teens in interceptions. He led his team to a number two overall offense but his teams defense just awful. Their 7-9 record would of been much worse without Brees. This team will not be in the playoffs this year but should be back next year.
5) RGIII- This Rookie has helped resurrect this franchise. He has been unreal how efficient he has been this year with the third best Passer Rating as a rookie! He has over 4000 total yards, 27 tds and 10 turnovers. He should win the Offensive Rookie of the Year. He has his team in the playoffs and may go deep into the playoffs.
Those are my top 5 QBs and here go my top 5 Tight Ends.
1) Jason Witten- He set the record for receptions in a single season for a tight end with 110. He is a dual threat and by that he is a good blocker and receiver. The only downfall to him is he only has 3 td receptions this year. He has some very good hands but to start the year he dropped a few balls.
2) Tony Gonzalez- The greatest tight end to ever play the game is still going strong at age 36. He had 93 catches for over 900 yards. Like Witten he is a blocker also which takes a little bit off his stats. He will look to win his first playoff game this year.
3) Jimmy Graham- He would be number 2 but he has had entirely too many drops. Some of his drops are due to him playing injured. He is more of a receiving tight end than the first two players. He is Drew Brees number 1 target and is a young talented player.
4) Heath Miller-Even though his season ended early he already had a career year in targets, receiving yards and receiving tds. His first priority is to block then he is a receiving target. I’m more impressed by him than anyone else because of his blocking ability. His season ended with a tore ACL and MCL. He will look to come back early next year.
5) Rob Gronkowski- He also had a sever injury this year with a broken forearm. He missed 5 games and yet he still had almost 800 yards and 11 td catches. If he would of played all year he would of easily been the best tight end. I look forward to seeing him in the playoffs and continue his dominance.
Those are the top 5 for Tight Ends and QBs.
PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @T19SHAFFER FOR MORE BLOGS AND INTERESTING SPORTS INFORMATION
I am going to give out my regular season awards to the most deserving recipient. I will start from the lower awards and finish with the MVP. The individual awards I will give my runner up in each award.
Executive of the Year- Thomas Dimitroff General Manager of Atlanta Falcons. The Falcons were the best and most dominate team in the NFC and was one of the more surprising teams in the NFL. 13-3 overall record
Coach of the Year- Pete Carroll from the Seattle Seahawks. This team was a surprise to many and may have been the most surprising team in the NFL.
11-5 overall record
Defensive Rookie of the Year- Luke Kuechly Linebacker from Carolina Panthers. He leads all rookies in Tackles with 164 total tackles, 10 pass deflects, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 INTs and 1 sack.
DRotY runner up- Bobby Wagner Linebacker from Seattle Seahawks. He was second in all rookies with 140 total tackles, 4 pass deflections, 3 INTs, and 2 sacks. He is the Heart of one of the best defenses in the league as a rookie.
Offensive Rookie of the Year- Robert Griffin the Third leads all rookies quarterbacks in Completion Percentage, Yards per attempt, Passer Rating, Rush yards and Rush tds. He was the single most effective rookie qb in the league.
ORotY runner up- Doug Martin had the third best season for a rookie running back in the history of the NFL. He had 1900+ yards from scrimmage and 12s tds.
Defensive Player of the Year- JJ Watt leads the league in sacks with 20.5, leads all non defensive backs with 16 pass deflections and has 4 forced fumbles. He has had probably more impact on a ball game than anyone on the defensive side of the ball.
DPoY runner up- Richard Sherman is the best player on the best defense in the NFL. He is leading the league in pass deflections with 24, has 8 INTs with 1 pick six and 3 forced fumbles with 1 recovery. He has been the best Cornerback in the league this year.
Offensive Player of the Year- Drew Brees had another fantastic statistical season leading the league in td passes and passing yards. He is top 10 in Completion Percentage and QB Rating.
OPoY runner up- Tom Brady he is top 10 in all major qb statistics. He is also on the number two team in the AFC.
Comeback player of the Year-Adrian Peterson is easily the most impressive player of the Year. He was 9 yards away from breaking the single season rushing record held by Eric Dickerson. 1 year ago he tore his ACL and MCL. He managed to come back a lot earlier than many people thought he would. He leads all running backs in rushing yard, ypa, rushes of 20+ yards, rushing yards per game and first downs.
Comeback Player of the Year runner up- Peyton Manning had 4 neck surgeries in a year. He has managed to come back from that and join the Denver Broncos. He picked up from where he left off with the Colts. He is just the same guy with a new team. He is also in the top 10 in all major quarterback statistical categories.
MVP- It has the same two entries as Comeback player of the Year with the same result. I have Adrian Peterson winning the MVP with Peyton Manning finishing a close second.
Those are my regular season awards the way I think they should go.
PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @T19SHAFFER FOR MORE BLOGS AND INTERESTING SPORTS INFORMATION.
There are so many under performing teams this year that there should be many head coaching vacancies this off season. This is the first season in 5+ years that a coach wasn’t fired in the middle of a season. I am going to name the top 5 coaches that need to be let go at the end of the year.
5) Jim Schwartz- Jim has been with the Lions for 4 years now and even though this team went to the playoffs last year, they are very inconsistent. They have a solid front 7 on their defense, but their corners are very suspect. They have a young franchise quarterback in Matthew Stafford and the best wide receiver in the league in Calvin “Megatron” Johnson. The thing that best describes this team is undisciplined. They will at best win 5 games this year and that is unacceptable. Schwartz is a fiery and emotional leader, but at times that will cost them games.I think he is more of a defensive coordinator than a leader of men.
4) Chan Gailey- This just has not worked since he has been at Buffalo, they just have not been relevant. He has managed to win only 15 games in 3 years. Chan is a good offensive coordinator, but he just isn’t getting it done. The Bills are in the Pats division so you have to have a legit starting quarterback and Ryan Fitzpatrick is just not it. Chan isn’t the only one that needs to go the General Manager Buddy Nix needs to go with him.They seem to me to be the opposite Lions, instead of drafting receivers they have drafted 3 legit running backs instead of keeping Lynch or Jackson and drafting a defensive guy they just draft C.J. Spiller. It makes no sense to me.
3) Andy Reid- The only reason i don’t have him higher is because i feel stronger about the top 2 guys. This guy has been the head coach for the Eagles since 1999, he has been to 5 NFC Champ. game and is 1-4 in those games. You may be saying going to 5 NFC Champ. Games is really good, but he has only been to 1 since 2005. His Offensive scheme seems to be big plays or miss with Mike Vick and it has been more miss than hit. I believe he has over stayed his welcome. I don’t believe he is a great motivator or a mastermind. He was very lucky to have Jim Johnson be his defensive coordinator. Without Jim this defense just hasn’t been the same. Their are more deserving coaches out there, to me i need to see Andy be able to change the way he has been doing things these last few years.
2) Rex Ryan- This man has lied to everyone this year, he has lied to himself and to his team. He has become more bark than bite and is just a laughing stock. The Jets defense that was supposed to be a dominate one this year according to Rex is an average one. It was clear to everyone after the first few weeks that Mark Sanchez was not the answer, but he stuck by him and they are out of playoff contention for the second straight year. What makes this year different is that the Jets had a better QB on there team in Tim Tebow on their bench. After about the third week I thought that he would go to Tebow to save the season, but his foolish pride made him stick with Sanchez. Rex needs to be fired alongside Mike Tannenbaum the GM. This franchise is a joke at this point and needs to be put in new hands.
1) Norv Turner- He should of been fired for the past 3 years, but for some reason they keep giving him chances. These last two years are the epitome of why he should be gone. I would take Norv as a offensive coordinator any day and twice on Sunday, but as a Head Coach he is horrible let me repeat myself he is a horrible Head Coach. The Chargers have had some great teams and still lose year after year. He no longer should get the benefit of the doubt he has to be on the top of the list to be gone after this year. He is tied to Phillip Rivers and Rivers is just not a elite QB and never really has been. A disaster waiting to happen is what this team has been for years. The Chargers need to strip the house clean and start over from the top (GM A.J. Smith) to running back Ryan Matthews.
A few that just missed the list-
2. Arizona Cardinals H.C.- Ken Whisenhunt
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @T19Shaffer
This is the final week of the Regular season and there are quite a few match ups with importance. There are some playoff clinching or playoff eliminating games.
Ravens 10-5 @ Bengals 9-6 at 1:00 p.m. – 6 This game has no playoff implications because both have already clinched their playoff positions. I would be very surprised if the Ravens play their starters past halftime. I think this game means more to the Bengals and will win this game 27-13.
Jets 6-9 @ Bills 5-10 at 1:00 p.m. – This game has no playoff implications but will have Draft implications. If the Bills lose they will leap into the top 10 maybe the top 8. If the Jets lose they would be around the top 12 pick. This game isn’t a game of powerhouses but of two of the bigger disappointments this year.
Texans 12-3 @ Colts 10-5 at 1:00- This game is one of the more important games of the weekend. The Texans can clinch home field advantage with a win, but with a loss the Patriots and Broncos will have first round bye. The Broncos will have Home Field Advantage. The Colts have said they will not sit players and now the Texans can not sit players. I have the Colts pulling the upset and winning 32-27.
Bucs 6-9 @ Falcons 13-2 at 1:00 p.m. – The Falcons have already clinched home field throughout the playoffs. The Bucs are ending the year on a very bad note and are playing bad. I have lost all belief that the Bucs will win this game even if Matt Ryan only plays a half. I have the Falcons winning 28-17.
Eagles 4-11 @ Giants 8-7 at 1:00 p.m. – The Giants have handed the division to the Redskins. The Giants had a 3 game lead in the loss column and have squandered it. The Eagles are just playing for Draft position. They are looking to have a top 5 pick at this point in the year. I have made arguments that Eli was better than Peyton but this year he just hasn’t looked like it. I am very disappointed in the Giants, and they don’t deserve to be in the playoffs the way they’ve played. The Eagles are starting Vick this week and he will playing to audition for a job next week. I think Vick won’t play extremely well and will come down to turnovers. With all that said I’m picking the Giants to win. I just can’t shake what they have done last year even if my better judgement tells me that I should. I pick the Giants to win 31-23.
Panthers 6-9 @ Saints 7-8 at 1:00 p.m. – This match up is featuring a bright young star in Cam and a proven star in Brees. Though this game has no playoff implications it still should be a good offensive game to watch. Panthers want to improve from last year’s 6-10 record, so they will need to win this game to win 1 more game than last year and possibly save Rivera’s job. The Saints have been hit hard this season since they lost a few players in free agency and suspension from the ghost hunt of Bountygate. Sean Payton meant a lot more to this team then I thought. Both teams need help in the draft and need to look in free agency. I think the Saints will win this game in a shootout 35-31.
Browns 5-10 @ Steelers 7-8 at 1:00 p.m. – Neither teams will be in the playoffs. The Browns and Steelers are both playing for draft position a loss would help both clubs. The Steelers however are mad they are not going to the playoffs. The Steelers will come out and stomp the Browns, with Weeden and McCoy hurt, who might be down to their third string qb and win 31-10.
Bears 9-6 @ Lions 4-11 at 1:00 p.m. – This is a must watch game because it’s a must win for the bears. The Bears need a Vikings loss and they need to win to make the playoffs. The Bears started 7-1 and have went 2-5 in there last 7 games. Even if the Vikings win the Bears have to win to possibly save Lovies and the other coaches jobs. The Lions aren’t as bad as their record would indicate. Most of their games have been close so I won’t be surprised if the Lions make this a bail biter. I will have to pick the Bears to win 27-24.
Jaguars 2-13 @ Titans 5-10 at 1:00 p.m. – This game is strictly a draft position game. The Jags need to lose to have a chance at the number one pick in the Draft. The Titans have just struggled in every way this year. I think the Titans are just better than the Jags and will win this game 21-3.
Cardinals 5-10 @ 49ers 10-4-1 at 4:25 p.m. – This is the easiest match up this week. The 49ers are very angry after getting destroyed by the Seahawks last week. The Cardinals are just bad and will stand no chance in this game. The 49ers will win handily 37-3.
Chiefs 2-13 @ Broncos 12-3 at 4:25 p.m. This is another game with no real significance. The Chiefs will either have the number 1 or 2 pick in the Draft and the Broncos will have either a 1 or 2 seed in the AFC playoffs. The Chiefs offense is strictly Jamaal Charles or bust and he will struggle against this defense. Peyton should be able to move the ball on this defense. Broncos win this game 35-14.
Raiders 4-11 @ Chargers 6-9 at 4:25 p.m. – Two teams that have been disappointments this year. The Chargers should of been much more of a factor than they have been this year. The Chargers will look much different next year with head coach Norv Turner and GM AJ Smith possibly being fired. The Chargers should win this game in a close one 17-14.
Dolphins 7-8 @ Pats 11-4 at 4:25 p.m. – The Pats have to win and have the Texans lose to have a first round bye. The Pats will come out and send a message against a division foe. Brady will look to put up big numbers to win the MVP this year. I don’t think the Dolphins will stand much of a chance this week. The Patriots win this game 38-17.
Rams 7-7-1 @ Seahawks 10-5 at 4:25 p.m. – The Seahawks have already clinched a playoff birth so they can’t get any worse. This Seahawks team is the hottest team in the NFL and will not let up any this week against a division rival. The Seahawks will win this game easily 42-9.
Packers 11-4 @ Vikings 9-6 at 4:25 p.m. – This is one of the most important games for me and all Bears fans. If the Vikings win this game then they clinch the number 6 seed. The Packers have already clinched the NFC North and could play spoiler to their arch rival Chicago by sitting their starters. I unfortunately see the Vikings winning this game 23-21.
Cowboys 8-7 @ Redskins 9-6 at 8:20 p.m. – This is the marquee game of the week. This game is win or go home for the division. The Redskins have been huge surprise this year. The Cowboys have been hot lately besides falling to the Saints last week. This game is going to be a high octane game. I will be more impressed with RG3 if he can win this game and win the division. Tony Romo has never been a clutch performer in his career. It’s more that I don’t trust Romo more than I trust RG3. I believe the Redskins will win this game 35-33.
That is my week 17 predictions so please follow and I will give my season awards and top 10 lists of all positions.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @T19Shaffer
This is the first Saturday night game of the NFL season. Its between the 12-2 Atlanta Falcons and 4-10 Detroit Lions. The Falcons will clinch home field advantage with a win. The Lions are a huge disappointment this year. After they went 10-6 and made the playoffs, they have been walking mediocrity. Calvin Johnson is going to break Jerry Rices’ receiving yards record of 1848, Calvin has 1667 receiving yards this season. Between the Falcons clinching homefield advantage and Megatron breaking Jerrys’ record this game should be exciting. I have this as a close game, unlike most of the people I have heard on 92.9 The Game or people I talk to, they all have the Falcons winning huge like 31-7 or something like that. I have the Falcons winning a nail biter 31-27.
That’s my Saturday Night Football prediction.
PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER T19Shaffer
The NFC West is a defensive conference much like the AFC North, but what seperates them is the youth of the NFC West. The NFC West is made up of the Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks and St. Louis Rams.
The Arizona Cardinals are 5-9 but started 4-0 and are 1-9 in the last 10. Their defense is actually pretty good its just on the field so much because their offense is probally the worst I’ve ever seen. I know they just put up 38 but I don’t care that was a fluke. Their only offensive threat is Larry Fitzgerald, too bad he can’t throw it to himself. The cupboard isn’t bare there either though they have some talent at the receiver position ( Fitz and Michael Floyd) and a young talented tight end in Rob Housler. They will most likely have the number 10 pick but they should not draft a quarterback. They should go after Tim Tebow if he is released or or trade for him. He would rejuvenate this franchise the way Kurt Warner did. With number 10 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals pick Jonathan Cooper
The St. Louis Rams are 6-7-1 and undefeated in the NFC West with one game left in division (Seattle Seahawks) and play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next. The Rams are very raw on offense but have a very underrated defense. Their main weakness is also their most valuable player Sam Bradford. You may think I’m crazy but hey from what I have seen he isn’t a franchise quarterback. If given enough time he is very accurate but if you pressure him he becomes inaccurate and easily bothered. Steven Jackson is not getting any younger and the end is growing closer. They need to grow their team in the draft and smart free agent pick ups. They will have two first round picks this year one will be around 16 and the other acquired from Washington Redskins last year will be around the 27th pick. With their first the St. Louis Rams will pick Anthony Barr Outside Linebacker from UCLA. With the 27th pick in the NFL draft the St. Louis Rams select Sheldon Richardson Defensive Tackle from University of Missouri.
Seattle Seahawks are 9-5 and are the NFLs hottest team the past few weeks. They have a great running back in Marshawn Lynch and potential rookie of the year Russell Wilson. Their defense has the best secondary in the NFL, a good pass rush and a good charismatic head coach in Pete Carroll. They are a young team but seem to be headed in the right direction on both sides of the ball. Marshawn Lynch has been the MVP of this team because without him defenses would not have to play the run so much and focus on Russell Wilson. They will have a very unfamiliar pick for them but they will have a late 20s pick in the draft. With that pick the Seattle Seahawks will select
Terrance Williams Wide Receiver from Baylor University.
The San Francisco 49ers are 10-3-1 and are still trying to lock up their division. They have had some bad games in their division that may cost then the division. They for some reason they play the Rams so badly and lost one and tied the other. They have a top 2 defense in my mind. They are a smash mouth football team first and offense secondly. Jim Harbough took over last year and this 49ers team hasn’t looked back. Their only weakness is the offensive scheme and a lack of a true receiver threat. They have a dual threat quarterback in Colin Kaepernick. They were in the NFC Championship last year and will most likely be playing in the NFC Champ. Game this year. They will most likely have a final 4 pick in the draft. With that pick the 49ers will select Tavon Austin Wide Receiver from West Virginia.
That is the NFC West and in my opinion the Seahawks will catch the niners and win the NFC West.
The next is the NFC East so please follow me on Twitter at T19Shaffer